Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Sweet sounds

I never knew that the "smack, smack" of a baby's hands clapping together could sound so sweet. The other day Isaiah was enjoying himself and started clapping his hands. Who'd have thought that I could have so much delight from such a small thing, but I must confess that I stopped whatever it was I was doing at the time and just listened to that "smack, smack" and smiled to myself. I sure love that little boy!

Isaiah is also starting to say words beyond his babbling conversation.
He has begun to tell me when he is done with his meal with a cute "all done" that at first was hard to distinguish, but I'm finally catching on.

I can hardly believe that he is over a year old. I daily am amazed at all that the Lord has done in his life. He kept him alive the night he was born. He preserved him through surgeries and seizures. He has kept him safe for 14 months with me as his daily care giver! :) I love how God enables you to do something when the time comes. Sometimes I still wonder how we will make one day to the next, and yet God gives the strength to keep going on.

God has already used Isaiah in ministry. Because of Isaiah our family ministry has changed in God's hands. We grow more and more excited as we think about the opportunities that we have to minister that we never would have had if Isaiah was not part of our lives.

And related to that thought, but changing the subject slightly, God gave me a gift today. I was emailing someone that I haven't spoken with since Isaiah was born, I think, and catching her up a little bit on what is going on with our family. As I was typing about what I do with Isaiah every day, God gave me a perspective on my work with him that I have never had before. Every day I try to do physical therapy exercises with Isaiah. Some days he doesn't want to do them as well as other days, but he's usually a lot of fun to work with. Most mothers of 14 month old children don't get to spend as much time with their children, I think. Most of the children that I know around Isaiah's age, who have normal spinal cords are fairly independent at this time. Isaiah needs me more than other children might need their mothers. He can do a lot on his own, and he's completely content to do so, but then he'll need to go somewhere and either Thomas or I need to be there for him. This thought is still sort of new in my mind, so please forgive any rough edges that I need to smooth out later. I have a unique opportunity to show Christ to Isaiah that some other mothers might have to work harder to do. As frail humans we are completely dependent on Christ. Sometimes it is easy to forget that we aren't in control of our lives, that our decisions are the bottom line. In helping Isaiah I can hopefully teach him faithfully how we can depend on God the Father for all our needs, that in fact, He is the One that I depend on to care for Isaiah. And perhaps God is allowing Isaiah to see (as he grows older) the necessity of dependence on Him.

The other day I took some pictures of Isaiah sleeping.
Whenever I look at him sleeping, I am struck with the incredible responsibility that God has given us. God has placed Isaiah in our care for a period of time. I pray that we will be faithful.

2 comments:

The Nelsons said...

I am so blessed by your insight on having a child with special needs. What a wonderful thing that we get to show them daily that dependence on Christ is necessary and wonderful.

Thanks for sharing that thought.
Much needed today in the Nelson household!

Love
Anna

Anonymous said...

Cristy-

I have just come across your blog (Thanks to the Nelson family!) and I just had to say that your sweet boy is absolutely beautiful! If you would like, feel free to get the office number or email from Anna and contact me.

Amy
Executive Director
Spina Bifida Association of MS