Monday, April 23, 2007

The celebration has begun!

This weekend we went to Baton Rouge, LA to begin celebrating Thomas' 30th birthday (which doesn't actually take place until this Saturday, but it's a big one so we wanted to celebrate in style!). We had a great time visiting with family.

On Friday Thomas' mom and I began
decorating for the party that night. I think that I have the best mother-in-law! She thinks of everything! She had streamers and balloons and signs to make everything quite festive. Being able to help her get things ready was a real treat.

Friday night the family came over, and we all enjoyed some yummy
shrimp creole, well except the 2 nephews who've taste buds have apparently not fully matured to enjoy such wonderful food. They had mac and cheese. After dinner we sat around the table and told "Thomas stories". I learned a lot. Some of them I had heard before, and some were new. Thomas has always been a character! His love for music began very early, and his parents did what they could to promote his talents, which the Lord has continued to bless. I love hearing stories about my husband and learning more and more about him.

Next came presents, which is always fun; then came cake.
Yes, there are 30 candles on that cake, complete with trick candles. I enjoyed that part a great deal, especially since my birthday has already past and I doubt that there are trick candles easily accessible in Russia for Thomas to use next year! It's amazing how much light and then smoke 30 little candles can produce.




Overall we had a grand weekend. Isaiah even slept quite well, which I always enjoy. I love to watch his grandparents enjoy him. He got to play with Grandma a lot on this trip, and they went
outside and played and played. Grandaddy was teaching him some new things about tools and pockets and such. Then Isaiah helped him play Boggle; he helps his daddy with that a lot and has become quite good. We all enjoyed hearing Isaiah chatter away as he has begun to do all the time. I never have to worry about the house being too quiet when Isaiah is awake!

Each visit with family becomes more sweet and special as we realize that we will have only a few opportunities left to have these visits. We look forward to being in NC for a weekend in May, when Beacon Baptist, my home church, celebrates Homecoming. I'm really looking forward to being at a Homecoming again.

Well, I've had several interruptions at this point, and I don't remember where I was going with this, so it's probably a good time to stop. Have a blessed day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing Thomas a very Happy 30th Birthday!Of course, I can guess that you enjoyed the day with lots of fun and frolic.Speaking of trick candles, I had so much fun with them on my last birthday.Have a great day!

e said...

look at the little buddy in his big boy shoes! so cute!!!

Cherith said...

I'm so glad you're going to be at Beacon for Homecoming--We'll be there too!! Yeah!
And thank you so much for your recent spiritually-focused posts. I've learned from them and needed to read them! Thanks for being transparent and willing to share what God has been teaching you, which has in turn taught someone else!
love you,
Cherith