Thursday, May 31, 2007

Advice on Moving Overseas

Over the past two weeks of consolidating our lives, putting things into storage, selling things, packing things for Russia, I've come up with some advice for all you would-be-perhaps-one-day-living-overseas-people.

The BEST thing to do is this; Plant a bomb underneath your house. Set the bomb to detonate in 30 minutes. Everything that you can get out of the house in 30 minutes is really all you need.

If that idea sounds a little too extreme then let me offer some other bits of advice.

1). Learn to be Less Sentimental - I'm not talking about throwing away your child's pictures, or his baby book. But after cleaning through boxes and boxes of sentimental thingsies I found shells, wooden pens, brochures, plane ticket stubs, etc. I also made a rule for myself that if I couldn't remember where something came from then I threw it away. I've had to remind myself that all of this stuff is going to burn up anyway one day. If you struggle with sentimentality like me then read Revelation 21 & 22 several times.

2.) Sell Whatever You Can - Have yard sales. Have several of them. Sell whatever you can. Sell stuff for cheap and fast. Don't haggle over quarters, just get rid of the stuff. Tell all your friends to come over to your house and "shop." Give stuff away to those whom you know need it.

3.) Take Breaks - The madness can get to you. Stuff is piling up all around you. Your house doesn't look like home anymore. You're living out of boxes and you're watching all of your worldly possessions depart to the four-corners. Remember to stop and do something that reminds you of 'home.' Watch a movie with your wife. If you've already sold the T.V. then watch it on your laptop (all missionaries have laptops these days right?). Order a pizza and play a game, but do something to ease the stress.

4.) Keep Focused on What You're Doing - One of the hardest things to do during this time is stay focused on what's really important. Satan has tried and tempted me a lot during this time. I've had trouble sleeping, I've become easily frustrated. I've missed Bible reading time, etc. I've had to constantly keep reminding myself that we are about to embark on trip to take the gospel to the ends of the earth. This is no mundane task. So keep your focus on the Lord and on his word.


So, that's what we've learned for now. I'm sure more lessons will present themselves in due time.

-Thomas

2 comments:

The Nelsons said...

We want an update on your family visits and travels when you can.
The Nelsons

Allen and Sandi Smith said...

You may not remember me, but we were in several classes at RTS. My wife and I read this post and laughed out loud :) We went through this process in Jan. 2006. You described the process very well.

I'll be praying for your travels and transition to Russian culture. Blessings!

Allen and Sandi Smith
Trujillo, Peru