Monday, June 19, 2006

Another change

Well, life needed a little more pizzazz for us. Saturday night I had just finished giving Isaiah his bath when I felt a horrible pain in my stomach. I called Thomas and asked him to come home soon because the pain was not going away and lifting Isaiah brought some discomfort. When he got home we talked to a doctor who goes to our church and described the symptoms. We ruled out some things before deciding that I probably had a kidney stone. Thomas took me to the hospital in Yazoo City, which turned out to not be such a good idea, so we went to Jackson.

If you have never had a kidney stone or experienced labor pains, there are simply not words to describe the pain. I actually think that a kidney stone might be more painful than labor. So as Thomas drove really, really fast to the hospital I tried to keep from screaming. We waited at the ER in Jackson, and I tried to restrain myself from rolling around on the floor in pain. Thankfully the triage nurse saw me and decided to call me back early. The nurses were great! They gave me drugs! A CAT scan showed a 4 mm stone on my left side. The doctor told me that if I was still in pain in a couple of days to come back and he would send me to a urologist. (My last kidney stone lasted 2 weeks.)

So, things have been a little different since Saturday night. I'm pretty doped up, so I'm not allowed to nurse Isaiah. Thankfully one of my friends was able to give us some ready-made formula that we can feed him. He eats it pretty well. Thomas is still headed to Bay St. Louis this afternoon for the mission trip, but he will be back on Wednesday night. We have some wonderful friends who have volunteered to stay with me at night and check on me during the day. I think that one thing that I can learn from this situation is to ask for help. I don't like having to ask for help, but I know that sometimes it is a good thing to do. God is probably using this to humble me, which is always needed.

Please pray that Thomas will have peace of mind about me and about Isaiah as he is gone. Please pray that the stone will pass, quickly! Praise God for how He is providing for my needs while Thomas is gone through some wonderful friends. Please pray that I will be cognizant enough to care for Isaiah while I'm here by myself. And if any of this post doesn't make sense, well that's percocet for you. :)

Grace to you, my friends.
-Cristy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even in pain you humor comes through. Our prayers are with you.
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

What a blessing that we live in a day and age when pain management is slightly more available than it used to be! It still sounds really awful... we'll be praying that it passes sooner than later.